Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The beginning

So I arrived a couple of days ago in Copenhagen.  It was kind of cold, but nice, and I love my host family!  The first couple of days were a little rough, though I heard I'm not the only one who started crying and freaking out when they were alone.  I'm still recovering from jet lag...it's taking much longer than I thought it would. 

The weather here cannot make up its mind.  I wake up each morning to sun and I think, oh good, it won't rain while I'm trying to navigate the city for the first time.  Then, without fail, each day many times a day it changes from sunny to rain and back again in a vicious and confusing cycle.

Day 1 of orientation was spent figuring out the school layout on a scavenger hunt and eating pancakes at the town hall.  The pancakes, I found out are only offered to VIPs.  DIS didn't pay for us to go there, we were all invited.  Also, each plate that we ate off of was about 500 dkk or 100 dollars, and the silverware was real silver. So, very cool. :) 

Day 2 of orientation began by learning some Danish phrases that would be useful, and going on another scavenger hunt this time around all of Copenhagen.  We visited the parliament building, Nyhavn, Magasin du Nord, the Royal Library (The Black Diamond), and saw the changing of the guard at the Danish Royal Palace, which included a band which is not seen often. 

All in all, it's been a great couple of days to start my semester here,  and I hope the rest are even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment