Thursday, September 2, 2010

Busy Week

Hello again!

It's been a while, so let's recap. Last Friday was my first official day of class, and I know that I will have next to no life while I'm here, because I actually will have a lot of homework and projects, but also a lot of field studies and trips as well.  Friday night was the Welcome Party for DIS students, which I was going to go to, but my friend Amanda, who is the only other person I have met here who doesn't drink, couldn't go because her family was taking her to their vacation house.  So, I got home, at dinner with my mor.  Because my sister Sofie was going to be going to the discotek and my brother Rasmus was going to be at his girlfriend's or with a friend, my mom (sidenote: it is a curious phenomenon, but all study abroad students tend to refer to their host family as "my mom/brother/sister" etc.) decided to take me to Tivoli Gardens to see the lights.  It was gorgeous and so fun, and I got probably the best ice cream cone I have ever had, with the creamiest soft serve I have ever had, a flødeboller (some sort of chocolate covered marzipan), and strawberry jam/sauce.  Then, we saw a concert by one of Denmark's most famous singers whose name I can't remember, but whose music was quite catchy.

Saturday morning, I attempted to use the bicycle that my family had for me to use, but it was too tall for me.  I was going to go see my sister play football but instead I stayed home and I think I skyped my parents.  Later, the three of us went into town to have a look at the shops and I went to my first H&M where I bought a new school bag because mine was getting too dense. Sunday I did homework then went to the host family meet and greet where I met up with a girl named Katie who I had been speaking to about Kate Nash tickets (which btw are way too expensive and the place was impossible to find, just ask Amanda who I dragged with me all over town to get them).

The beginning of the week was normal, just a bunch of assignments handed out and completed, train trouble (nothing serious, just a couple of late/missed ones) and learning money lessons.  But Monday my Danish professor took us to a really nice cafe in the student district and we enjoyed each others' company and some good food!  On Wednesday, my Danish class went to Christiania, which for those of you who don't know, is a totally autonomous community in Copenhagen.  It was founded in 1971 by a bunch of homeless people and hippies who created a community out of old military barracks and ruins.  It is the 2nd most popular CPH tourist activity after Tivoli and it is home to about 1000 residents who may lose their homes if the recent ruling holds in the high court.  Ask me if you'd like to know more about it, there are too many details to cite here.

Thursday, today was my first day at my practicum for Children in a Multicultural Context.  It is sort of like an internship/observation.  It is located in Nivå, a rural suburb of Helsingør (sort of).  I was very nervous because I am working with 0-6 year olds and I don't speak Danish, plus I had NO clue where it was.  However, I was able to find it, and I had so much fun with the kids.  And it turns out, with kids you don't necessarily have to speak the same language to understand each other and get along, so the next 10 weeks are going to be so amazing and I can't wait to get to know the kids better when I can speak a little more Danish, which I know will happen because I already learned a lot of phrases, like "Hvad hedder du" What is your name?  Jeg hedder Kate. My name is Kate.  Ja/Nej - yes/no. Skal vi lege?  Do you want to play?  Er du sulten/tørstig? Are you hungry/thirsty?  Spise - Eat.  So I think I will be fine, and I think it will be one of the best experiences I have ever had.

Coming up:  My first test, a shopping trip to Sweden (maybe), celebrating Julia's birthday at Tivoli, and some more kid stories and other adventures :D

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Kate. I would love more details on Christiana. I am fascinated by the will and desire of a people when government cannot help them and they have to fend for themselves. I would love to hear more.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate!
    Amanda, You, Elyse, me, and any other non-drinkers need to have a cafe night or something! :] i'm sure there has to be a few more of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alicia: Yes please! That sounds great!

    ReplyDelete