Saturday, October 16, 2010

Another Typical Week in Copenhagen

Sooo, this week was pretty okay.

It started out with one class in which we simply discussed our study tour and what we wanted to do for the rest of the semester, and our final projects.  After class, my favorite people from the London trip (i.e. the group I got the closest to: Patti, Trisha, Lena, and Jeff, and Bailey) went to the original cupcake bakery called Agnes.  I ordered a sea salt and chocolate cupcake.  That night it was hardcore study time for the giant Developmental Disorders test the next day, so I waited until I had conquered that to enjoy my cupcake, which was amazing.  Also, my friend Amanda was having major major problems with her host family, so I was trying to help her through that as well.  I didn't get to bed until late.

Tuesday was the day of our midterm, and I don't think I did so well, but we'll see, and everyone in the class was in the same boat so it will be okay.  Also, I opted not to take that class for a grade for this exact reason.  I hung out with Amanda during our break as usual, then we headed to Danish, my favorite class!  I love my professor, she is the sweetest, most awesome lady!

Wednesday we had a field study to Hillerod, and the pedagog training college.  It was interesting to see how pedagogs are taught, and we even did some drama exercises with a drama pedagog.  After that we visited a forest kindergarten that wasn't really a forest kindergarten.  In Denmark, a forest kindergarten is one in which the children meet at a house or classroom in the city/town then get bussed out to the forest, where they spend all day, rain/snow or shine, playing and exploring.  It's a cool concept.  This one didn't really count, because it was a collection of awesome buildings next to a forest and meadows.  For some of the day the children were in the buildings, but for the rest of the time they played outside.  There were no fences around the property, only wooden poles painted yellow or red.  A yellow pole meant that the children had to ask before they went to play there, and red meant they were not allowed to.  The reason for no fencing is that, fences are almost a challenge, and may actually be more dangerous than the lack of fencing.  I loved this place and I want nothing more than to send my children to a place like that.

Thursday was practicum!!  I had so much fun.  A few of the kids have become attached to me, and it is so much fun to play with them.  It's so different here.  Parents cannot sue a preschool for injuries their kid sustains or other things, so at my practicum kids jump off cabinets onto pillows and mattresses, I am permitted to basically throw the kids off the cabinet onto said pillows, and I can wrestle with them and tickle and huggle them as much as I want! 

Friday was a good day.  I went to class with good friends, had the best lecture ever in the history of developmental disorders (because it was not given by our professor, but by a very cool Aspie named Carl), then a break with Amanda, and then Danish, where she brought us cookies because she was proud of our results on our quizzes (see what I mean?).  What made the day the best though was going to my new favorite place, called Paludan Bogcafe. It is a huge cafe with high ceilings and books EVERYWHERE.  You walk in and there is a staircase leading to a hallway with books from floor to ceiling.  The prices are reasonable too and the chai latte I got was SO delicious.  I sat there for a good hour and a half just enjoying the hundreds of books around me, including North and South which I had brought with me and finished there.  After the cafe, I walked around to see the beginning of kulturnatten (Culture night) where all of the museums and landmarks are free once you buy the culture night pass.  It looked like it was going to be a great night.  I met up with my mom and sister at the station and we began shopping.  Sofie left for Spain with her football team this morning and there were a ton of sales, so she got stocked up on winter clothes and shoes.  Though shopping all night was fun, mostly because of the company, I wish we had had time to see some of what kulturnatten had to offer.

By the end of the night our feet were tired and so were we.  Unfortunately our trains decided to have a bunch of technical difficulties, so we got to the station at 10 and didn't get home until midnight.  Then we just had some tea together and went to bed.

Today I have done next to nothing.  I caught up on some of my shows and wrote a page and a half of my 6-8 page paper due on Fri. and did my readings for monday because....

Tomorrow is Legoland!  I get to go to the original one in Billund, about a 3 hour drive from CPH.  I'm excited to hang out with some great friends there, and maybe I'll write about it on Monday.

But that's all for now folks! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment